Friday, December 5, 2008

Internet safety- Reading

1 What article did you choose to read for your fourth article?
I chose to read the "It's only violence" article by Brad J. Bushman.
2 What were the most important things you learned from the readings?
From reading the articles, I learned that we are in charge of what we watch. We need to choose what to watch on TV, what to hear on the radio, what to look up on the Internet. We are so caught up in a society where things are so easily accessible that sometimes it is almost impossible to prevent watching and hearing things we don't want to hear. But we do have a choice of what things we let into our lives and what things we want to treasure up as good and beneficial for us.
3 How will what you have read influence your actions as a parent and/or teacher of children and youth?
I think technology, media, etc. are wonderful resources; it really does make our lives easier. But as a parent I think I have the right to prevent bad, harmful things to enter my home. I can suggest watching good, productive, informative TV shows. I can control the time that my children watch TV; it can be entertaining, but it can be damaging if watching too long.
4 How can you use what you have learned from the reading to have a positive influence on family and friends?
I want my children to feel comfortable with what I watch. I also want them to talk to me about what they hear and see outside of home, so in a way I do want to teach my children that there are things in the world that they will not see at home, but they will see outside of our home, and if they do see those, they can talk to me about it.
I think that by providing my children with good TV watching, movie watching strategies, can really help their friends. They can set an example to what really is beneficial for children to watch.

No comments: