* Who did you talk with? (I don't need names - just a brief description of age so I understand the context.)
I talked to my sister who is 20 years old. She is at BYU as well and is a very smart girl. She is also very cautious and a little bit conservative. So, her answers were a little bit different from what I think.
* Describe what you shared and how it went (was it positive? negative? hard? easy? valuable or not?).
The conversation went really well. It was a very positive experience. She shared with me what she knew about internet safety. She mostly talked about how pornography is such a big issue and really a problem when surfing the internet. Even when you are not looking for it, it just sort of pops up. She also gave me her incite about you tube, but I think she meant my space because she said that everyone had access to your personal info. So she is not really in favor of my space. Even with facebook, it took forever for her to get a profile. So she is pretty worried about her personal information safety, which is understandable, there are people out there who do use your info to damage your image and such.
I asked her if she thought that teenagers, or middle school kids should have blogs and my space, facebook pages. She shared with me that it would be ok if they were in 9th grade and up. But that smaller kids are not responsible enough to know what things are out there in the internet.
I shared with her what I learned about syberbullying, and how now days most kids in middle school have their own my space or facebook page. I shared with her that I think it's ok for them to have it b/c as a parent I wouldn't want my children to feel left out of some group. But, I told her that the important thing is for children to know the dangers as well as the benefits of the internet and of course of places like facebook and my space.
Saturday, December 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment